Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where's the camera?

It's Wednesday and we are still recovering from our road trip. It was a great drive, except that time it rained and Connecticut and New York do not have road reflectors and makes it VERY difficult to stay in your lane. We both love Washington D.C. and all the awesomeness it provides. We stayed with our wonderful friends Chance and Jenny who are the best hosts AND the best tour guides. We weren't able to do many touristy things but we did have an unforgettable experience in the Metro Station.

We had just picked my mom up from the Union Station and were headed to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. While we were waiting for the next train a woman came up to us while we were all in mid conversation and asked us if we thought it was weird that someone would leave their purse on a bench. The rest of the story goes something like this....

and Crazy Lady: "I just think it's weird that someone would leave their purse. Don't you think that's weird? She had things in it like she works for the CIA. I think it's strange. (pause) I think it's weird so I put the purse in a suitcase at the hotel."

Mom: "Well I've left my purse behind before, so it's not that strange."

Jenny: "I have too!"

(at this point I want to tell the lady this whole conversation was weird but I kept my mouth shut)
Crazy Lady: "You don't think it's weird? I think it's weird. She had cards and information in it from Tanzania. I think she works for the CIA."

Mom: "Sounds like she leads an interesting life!"

Crazy Lady: "You think so? I don't. I think it's a waste of time trying to educate blacks and Hispanics, especially from other countries."

(at this point I had had enough!)

Me: "Ok. That's it, you need to leave.. Now!"

She looked at me with shock.

Me: "Seriously, you need to walk away."

Crazy Lady: "You don't agree? Have you ever been to Boston, they hardly have any blacks." (hello left field!)

Me: "You. need. to. walk. away. now!"

Crazy Lady: "This is public space, I don't need to leave."

Me: "I don't care that this is public space, you are in our space and I'm asking you nicely to leave. I won't ask you again."

(if you know me well enough you can hear my tune and know that I'm asking in a very firm voice to indicate that I'm not going to put up with her crap AND I'm not afraid to do what it takes to make her leave)

At this point she stays in her spot but turns her back to us. I look at mom, Jenny and Cony and they all looked like their jaws had dropped. Mom moves to sit next to Cony and Crazy Lady thought it was her que to sit down next to Jenny. The details get a little fuzzy at this point because I was looking for a hidden camera. I think we all were. I remember Jenny turning to her and saying, "Just so you know she has a black nephew."

Crazy Ladies response: "Oh. I'm sorry."

Me: "You might want to watch what you say to complete strangers!"

Crazy Lady: "You're sounding really trashy right now."

Me: "Me?? Why? Because I'm standing up for something I believe in?"

Crazy Lady: "You must be a Democrat! Because you sound like one of those too."

(Ohhh, noo you didn't!!)

Me: "You don't know a thing about me, my family and our background. You really shouldn't talk to strangers!"

Thankfully at that exact moment the train came because my adrenaline was moving through my body and I didn't want to do something I would later regret. I am my father's daughter after all. Not nearly as much as Emily and I can only imagine how much more interesting it would been having her with us.

We're so grateful we had the chance to visit with friends and family (some that I haven't seen in 20 years!). More details to come when I upload the photos.



Also, thank you for all your sweet comments about my new haircut and sticking up for me. I will say, I don't mind Cony being honest with me and when I first got home... my hair did look a little grandma-ish.

4 comments:

Nubia Mejia said...

Wow girl! I don't knot how you didn't push her in front of the train! Kudos to you! =P Can't wait to see pictures.

Jenny @ An Apple for the Crafter said...

I still wish Emily had been there! On the plus side, I haven't had that much drama in a long time!
Oh and the fuzzy part was extra fuzzy because I was on the phone with Chance. She sat down next to me and I said, "A crazy lady came up to us on the metro." Then:

Crazy lady: (whispering to me) I must have been talking to a democrat.
Me: NO. You were talking to a woman with a black nephew.

I'm thinking Republicans everywhere hope she loses the ability to speak.

Julie said...

Bwah ha ha ha that was very crazy and entertaining. Good for you, Megan!

Heather S. said...

Was this the trip where you also met my cousin Ann? Small world!